Shore’s Milestones: 1949 – 2015

Milestones are symbols.  They represent countless hours of volunteer and staff effort, the sharing of talents and resources, and the passions of people who wanted to build a better future for individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities.  As you read the high points of Shore Community Services, try to remember the very human side of these milestones.

old-evanston

2016

The first school for North Shore children with intellectual and other developmental disabilities was held in the Evanston home of Lois and Thomas J. Lloyd.

16Lloydhome_0008

1951

The North Shore Association for Retarded Children was legally incorporated as a private not-for profit.  A summer play school was started at Leahy Park in Evanston.

19BillMusicGroup_0011

1952

The school was relocated to the basement of the Covenant Methodist Church for 12 children.  A Sunday School group was started at First Baptist Church.1953

The school program, now known as Park School, became one of six state supported pilot projects for children with moderate and severe intellectual disabilities.

1954

The Evanston School Board assumed responsibility for Park School for children ages 6-16.  The program the Lloyd’s started was renamed Shore School and continued as a private, non-profit organization, supporting children more severely disabled who were not eligible to be served by the new district rules.

A nursery was developed at the First Baptist Church.

111PattyLoisTom'57_0007

Thomas, Lois & Patricia Lloyd

1955

Christmas Tree sale proceeds began as a Building Fund for a permanent school facility.

1957

Shore School moved to the Unitarian Church.  Local United Fund monies assisted Shore.

1959

Property along the Sanitary Canal on Church Street was secured to build a new school.

30Schoolgroundbreaking

1960

Shore School was again relocated to the Bethlehem Lutheran Church.

1962

Shore School was constructed and opened three classrooms and a workshop for 40 youngsters, which included administrative offices for the North Shore Association for Retarded Children at 2525 Church Street in Evanston.

120Schoolearlydays_0003

1963

The Department of Mental Health began subsidizing programs.

1965

Two classrooms, a multi-purpose room and a sheltered workshop plant were added to Shore School through private fundraising.

1966

A diagnostic nursery began serving youngsters ages 2 – 5.

1967

Five offices for professional and clerical staff were built onto the workshop plant through public funds under the Laird Amendment. Recognizing service to adults, the Association name was changed to North Shore Association for the Retarded.

1970

A second Evanston workshop plant was leased on 616 Hartrey Avenue to provide service to 75 adult work trainees.

1971

Shore receives its first National Accreditation from CARF – The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.

1972

The diagnostic nursery was reorganized to serve children from birth to three and was renamed the Early Childhood Intervention program.

1974

A third workshop plant opened at 8900 Gross Point Road in Skokie to adequately serve increased applicants and provide greater accessibility to west suburban residents.

1976

Shore purchased a row of five townhomes in Evanston for residents with mild intellectual and other developmental disabilities and named them the Patricia Lloyd Townhomes, in honor of Shore’s first student.

1978

The Patricia Lloyd Townhomes opened after many legal battles as a Supported Living Program.

1980

The Work Activity program and the workshop programs moved out of 2525 Church and 616 Hartrey into a larger facility located at 1225 Hartrey, Evanston.

1981

The north end of Shore School was remodeled to create office and classroom space.

51LLC_0003

1982

Shore received a $1.2 million Housing and Urban Development loan to begin looking at building two group homes.

1983

A separate location at 616 Hartrey was established for the Work Activity Program for individuals age 21 years or older and became Shore Adult Center.

1984

Shore Homes East, an ICF-DD (Intermediate Care Facility for Developmentally Disabled) opened in Evanston and Shore Homes West, a CLF (Community Living Facility) opened in Skokie.

1985

Through a connection made by Lois Lloyd, Shore formed a partnership with ChildServe to jointly operate a volunteer re-sale shop, Second Time Around Thrift & Gift Shop, 4123 Oakton in Skokie.

58resaleshop_0010

1986

Supported Employment was added to the vocational services.

1987

North Shore Association for the Retarded changed its name to Shore Community Services for Retarded Citizens. Shore initiates In-Home Respite Services, providing temporary supervision for high-risk adults with intellectual and other developmental disabilities.

1990

Shore Adult Center moved from 616 Hartrey into the rehabilitated section of Shore School, thus eliminating the leased Hartrey building.

Shore Administrative offices moved from the north end of Shore School, to an office suite in the Gross Point Road Office Complex in Skokie.

1991

Shore purchased a 27,000 square foot building at 8035 Austin Ave. Morton Grove, to eventually accommodate both of Shore’s Training Centers (1225 Hartrey and Gross Point Road).

50SKTC_0002

1993

Shore Training Center initiated a Seniors Program for adults with intellectual and other developmental disabilities who are 55 years or older and choose a retirement activities day schedule.

1994

Shore began a CILA (Community Integrated Living Arrangement) program
with small group homes in Evanston and Skokie.

1995

Shore moved into its own office building at 4232 Dempster, Skokie, and named it Regenstein Center in honor of the efforts of Betsy Regenstein Hartman, whose family foundation underwrote the cost of building.

49Business

1998

Organization changed its name to Shore Community Services, Inc.

Shore acquired Bronx Tile Building, adjacent to Regenstein Center, remodeled the building and constructed offices for program personnel.

1999

Shore became the sole owner and operator of the Second Time Around Thrift & Gift Shop.

2000

Shore opened new CILA in Skokie and organized an agency-wide staff training program.

Shore closed the school program for 3-21 year olds.  Lois Lloyd’s dream was met by having children with disabilities receive public school services.

A condominium was converted from a CILA to a Supported Living apartment unit.

2001

Shore celebrated it’s 50th Anniversary.

Shore marked 30 consecutive years of being accredited by CARF, a prestigious international accredited organization.

Renamed Shore School at 2525 Church Street to the Lois Lloyd Center, in honor of Shore’s founder and inspiration.

Renamed Skokie CILA to Karger House, after longtime supporter and friend, Mrs. Jean F. Karger.

27LLCdedication_0019

2002

Shore initiated Home Base Support Services Coordination.

Renamed Shore Homes East to the Buehler House, in honor of Board Members and longtime supporters, Arthur and Joyce Buehler.

2005

Purchased the Second Time Around Thrift & Gift Shop building (4123 Oakton, Skokie) and the building next door (4125 Oakton) for the Early Childhood Intervention program.

Opened a new CILA in Skokie, named Laura House, after the daughter of a major supporter in its development.

59EICenter

2006

Finished the rehabbing of 4125 Oakton and the renamed Early Intervention program moved into this site.

2007

Renamed the Training Center in Morton Grove to the Joseph Koenig, Sr. Training Center in honor of his support in expanding the warehouse by 33% or 8400 additional square feet.

2008

Meridith Murray became the first female president elected to Shore’s Board of Directors.

2009

Shore received a 3-year accreditation from CARF, a prestigious international accredited organization.  The agency was in the top 2% of all international agencies surveyed and received no recommendations.

2011

Shore celebrated 60 years of service.

2012

Shore received 3-year accreditation by CARF, a prestigious international accredited organization, marking the 14th consecutive 3-year accreditation.

After 60 years, Shore appointed its’ first female Executive Director, Debora K. Braun

2013

Shore underwent re-branding  and launched a new logo and website.

Shore’s Administrative offices moved into a new location at 8350 Laramie, Skokie and preparations began to move the Adult Services Program into the first floor by the summer of 2016.

Shore received 3-year accreditation by CARF International, a prestigious accredited organization, marking the 15th consecutive 3-year accreditation.
In July 2016, the Lois Lloyd Adult Services Program moves to their new home on the first floor of the Administration Center in Skokie after a complete gut renovation.

India Alexis Ehioba, MNA, CFRE becomes Chief Executive Officer, a newly created position at Shore.

 

 

Please consider including Shore Community Services in your will and estate planning.